Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of our readers and subscribers! Wether you’re traveling, or spending time with loved ones, Trevor and I wish you all a very Happy Holiday that is filled with joy and peace.
We’ve made a very special Let’s Chat to mark the occasion and I really hope you guys enjoy it. I filmed it sick with a sinus infection and an upper respiratory infection, which is why I sound so terrible. Please excuse my nasal voice!
I went to an urgent care clinic to get some medicine (I hadn’t slept in 4 days and my body was starting to revolt) and while in the office, waiting for the doctor, Trevor and I were looking at the health posters they had in the room. A PSA on domestic abuse caught my eye and I started tearing up. “I wish we lived in a world where abuse didn’t exist.” Trevor just held my hand and nodded.
That poster inspired me to make this video, which was really tough for me to film as I kept getting emotional over how happy my life is, and the juxtaposition that my little happy life has with so many that live in terror and fear on a daily basis.
I have running water. I have access to a toilet. I have clean clothes. I have a warm place to stay in winter, and a cool place in summer. I have access to health care. Too many people don’t have these things.
As mentioned in the video, we need to keep those less fortunate than ourselves in our hearts as the year comes to a close. For many of us Christmas and the New Year brings joy and hope, but there are millions across the world that won’t be sharing those feelings for 2017.
Charities You Can Donate To
There are so many charities in existence that you can give to! If you don’t know where to start these are the ones I recommend. We aren’t affiliated, or sponsored, by any of these charities below. They’re just causes that are very close to my heart:
- Anyone could be struggling with suicide. For some, the holidays are difficult to cope with. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline and Crisis Text Line save lives daily, 24/7.
- The Salvation Army is my favorite group to donate goods to, but they accept so much more than your stuff. I think the ability to donate your accrued United or Delta airline miles is amazing; it can help move personnel in times of disaster and provide travel for people that need to seek treatment outside their area. You can easily donate money this time of year as I’ve the Salvation Army at every Walmart in my area, but you can also donate financially from the comfort of your own home.
- Local Women’s Shelters offer aid and transitional housing to women, and their children, which means supplies are always needed. From diapers to clothes, toys to food, Women’s Shelters need it all. You can search online for one near you, or check your local phone book. Be sure to ask what they currently need most and where you can drop the items off.
- Water.org helps communities and schools across the globe have access to water and sanitation. 1 in 10 people don’t have access to water and 1 in 3 don’t have access to a toilet, so this organization (and many like it) is vital.
- UNICEF does all kinds of good all over the world.